Mute Swan Photo: Sweeter Hodgin/Audubon Photography Awards
The John James Audubon Center at Mill Grove is situated on a historic 18th-century site, the farm where 18-year-old John James Audubon lived when he first came to America from France in 1803. Here, he developed a technique for drawing birds "from life" that would allow him to become one of the world's best-known wildlife artist. The hundreds of life-size portraits of birds contained in his seminal work The Birds of America helped inspire the formation of the National Audubon Society. The site includes the original three-story farmhouse, built in 1762, miles of nature trails along the Perkiomen Creek, and a brand new building, featuring indoor and outdoor exhibits focused on birds, art, and conservation.
The Visitor Center is open Wednesdays through Sundays from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Trails and park are open every day during daylight hours.
Please enjoy Mill Grove!
The beautiful historic home of John James Audubon was built in 1762.